Protein header

It’s probably no surprise to hear that protein is an important nutrient, but the question is Why? We’re breaking down the mysteries of protein to give you the facts—easy as that.


Benefit 1

Protein is known to be one of the most satiating* nutrients, and is associated with feelings of fullness.


Benefit 2

High-quality proteins, like milk protein, can help promote weight maintenance and blood glucose control.*


Benefit 3

Proteins are indispensable in helping support and maintain muscle structure and growth.

Benefits of Protein

Every day, our bodies need protein to function at our best. In the morning, afternoon, and even at night, protein benefits us in a variety of ways.

*Weigle DS, Breen PA, Matthys CC, Callahan HS, Meeuws KE, Burden VR, Purnell JQ. A high-protein diet induces sustained reductions in appetite, ad libitum caloric intake, and body weight despite compensatory changes in diurnal plasma leptin and ghrelin concentrations. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;83:41-8.
*Anderson GH, Luhovyy B, Akhavan T, Panahi S. Milk proteins in the regulation of body weight, satiety, food intake and glycemia. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program. 2011;67:147-159.
Completed protein

CompleteProtein 101

Did you know milk protein is a high-quality protein? That’s because it contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it a “complete protein.” Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, but our bodies can’t produce these 9 essential amino acids, so we have to get them from foods, including delicious Dannon® Oikos® Greek yogurt.

High protein


When it comes to protein, many foods are rich in protein. But it’s not just about quantity, it’s also about quality.

In addition to being a complete protein, dairy protein also ranks among the highest in terms of digestibility, making it one of the highest quality protein sources you can get!

Protein Food Chart

Protein Added
1 serving oikos triple zero greek nonfat yogurt
Not a low calorie food
15 g00 120
1 large egg6 g05 g 72
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter7.1 g3.36 g16.4 g 188
*Based on USDA database dated July 28 2017

Protein Food Chart

Oikos compared to other high protein foods (table format, based on a typical single serving of each food item)

protein fuel

Throughout Your Day

When you prioritize a balanced breakfast that includes high-quality protein, you establish a good foundation to continue making healthy food choices throughout the day. So when the afternoon rolls around, you’re more likely to reach for nutrient-dense, high-protein snacks to help you stay on track with a healthy diet.

Casein protein

Casein Protein vs
Whey Protein

There are 2 main types of protein in milk: casein and whey. Approximately 80% of milk protein is casein, and whey makes up the remaining 20%. Casein forms a gel in the gut, and is digested and absorbed more slowly. Whey on the other hand, is quickly absorbed because it is dissolved in the water component of milk. The combination of whey and casein in milk allows for rapid yet sustained delivery of protein to the body.

How Much Protein Do I Need?


How Much Protein Do I Need?

Let’s keep it simple: adults needs about 50 g* per day. But that's based on a 2,000 calorie diet - your Daily Value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, with 11 to 15 grams of protein per 5.3 oz. serving**.

*based on FDA daily value for protein based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
**Oikos yogurt has 3 g saturated fat per 5.3 oz.